Choosing to lead a healthy lifestyle is the best decision you can make. From making healthy food choices to being physically active, our blog provides information on how to make healthy choices. Try the search term box to look for specific topics that meet your needs.
- 10 Tips for Healthier Fast Food Choices 07/17/2018 It's possible to make wise choices and eat a fairly healthy meal at fast food restaurants if you order carefully.
- 10 Tips for Saving Money at the Grocery Store Without Coupons Ken Immer | 01/15/2018 Save money at the grocery checkout with these tips!
- 3 Great Ways to Use Herbs and Spices Lauren Wright | 06/10/2016 Fragrant, fresh, and tasty, herbs and spices are also great for health!
- 3 tips for a happy, healthy vacation Ken Immer | 08/10/2016 Maintain your healthy lifestyle, even when on vacation.
3 Useful Tips to Help Muscle Soreness after Working Out
If your muscles feel fine right after a workout, but begin to feel sore a couple of days later, you're
- 3 Ways to Avoid Going Overboard at Thanksgiving Coleman Tanner | 11/21/2017 Thanksgiving is a day to indulge... mindfully!
- 4 Healthy Lunch Tips for Travelers 06/21/2018 Here are tips for eating healthy at the airport and on the road.
- 4 Tips to Drink More Water Lauren Wright | 06/21/2018 Staying hydrated is easy, even in the summer heat!
- 4 Ways to Make Thanksgiving Healthier Lauren Wright | 11/21/2017 Ready to enjoy a healthy and active Thanksgiving this year?
- 5 Common Root Vegetables that are Good for You Brandie Freeman | 02/05/2018 Winter provides an assortment of vegetables that are good for you and comforting and the same time.
- 5 Great Outdoor Tech Hobbies Eric Carrell | 08/23/2016 Get moving by taking technology outside!
- 5 Healthy After School Snack Ideas Lauren Wright | 08/22/2016 These healthy snack ideas are sure to please your child�۪s taste buds while fueling them for homework and play.
- 5 Strategies to Avoid Gaining Weight between Thanksgiving Day and New Year's Eve 11/19/2019 With these 5 tips, you can enjoy this holiday season without worrying about gaining weight.
- 5 Things to Start & Stop Doing When Eating Healthy Ken Immer | 04/30/2018 When we are trying to eating healthy, we can feel like we are in uncharted territory.
- 5 Tips for Choosing a Better Cheese 07/10/2018 Want a cheese that delivers the goods - flavor, protein and calcium with the least calories, saturated fat, and salt? Check out...
- 5 Tips for Eating Mindfully 04/26/2016 Being more mindful and intuitive can help us eat smarter.
- 5 Tips To Becoming a Smarter Shopper Jasmine Guest | 06/18/2018 Use these tips to become a more effective grocery store shopper:
- 5 Ways to Get in Shape for the New Year 12/20/2018 Have you vowed to take care of your health and lose weight for the New Year?
- 7 Healthy Picnic Ideas Lauren Wright | 06/16/2016 Nothing says summer like a picnic!
- 7 Holiday Foods You Should Avoid 12/11/2018 If you can avoid the wrong foods during the holidays, you can still eat healthy, or at least healthy-ish.
- 9 Ways to Get 10,000 Steps a Day 04/05/2018 There are countless ways to reach a daily step goal. Find the tricks that work for you and keep you motivated to move and you'l...
- A Short Guide to Hiking 05/01/2018 Hiking is one of the best ways to get in shape while taking advantage of beautiful weather and scenery in South Carolina.
- A Squash for Every Season: 12 Powerhouse Gourds to Gorge On Through the Year 11/07/2019 Whether you prefer spring, summer, winter, or fall squash, one thing's for certain: you can't go wrong adding gourds to your diet.
- Ace Your Meals with Asparagus 05/10/2018 Although asparagus is available almost year-round now, it’s always exciting to see the spears — green, white, or purple — in th...
- Adventure Abounds in Poinsett State Park Deanna Anderson | 06/29/2016 Poinsett is quickly becoming the premier location for mountain bikers and hikers.
- Bamberg-Ehrhardt: Working Together as a Community Corina Vidaurri | 05/11/2016 Leon Maxwell has helped make Bamberg-Ehrhardt High School dedicated to wellness!
- Be Sweet to Your Feet The American Heart Association | 01/17/2018 Healthy feet are happy feet, and they'll keep you moving toward your activity goals!
- Become the Ultimate State Park Outsider Deanna Anderson | 05/16/2018 Learn more about state park events with guided kayak and canoe tours and guided hikes.
- Beyond the Kale 05/07/2018 You’ve probably heard about the many virtues of kale and its mighty nutrient powers, but when it comes to gorgeous bunches of g...
- Brockman Elementary: Creating a Culture of Wellness Elizabeth Gerndt | 06/08/2016 Open community use makes Brockman welcoming to everyone.
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia Hannah Walters | 02/19/2016 Remember Chia Pets? Turns out chia seeds are good for much more than growing goofy chia pet hair!
- Choosing the Best Organic Produce Lauren Wright | 06/28/2016 We’ve all heard about organic foods and have seen them boldly advertised in grocery stores. But what’s the deal w...
- Container Gardening in 4 Easy Steps Lauren Wright | 06/13/2016 Maximize small, outdoor spaces with a container garden.
- Decoding Food Labels Hayley Weise | 04/17/2018 Reading food labels can sometimes feel like trying to understand a foreign language.
- Doby's Mill Fitness Trail and physical activity 05/05/2016 Doby’s Mill Elementary, located in Lugoff, SC believes their students should develop healthy lifestyles by participating ...
- Don't Stop Moving When it Starts Raining 05/07/2018 Sometimes, it seems like there aren’t enough activities in the world to keep everyone active and entertained, so use these tips...
- Easy Bean Tostadas Lauren Wright | 07/01/2016 Beans are a nutritional powerhouse and taste great as tostadas.
- Entitlement to a Safe Environment Sandra Sessions | 05/25/2016 Boiling Springs Middle believes that all people are entitled to a safe and supportive environment.
- Fairfield Central High School: A partnership for community health Elizabeth Gerndt | 07/27/2016 Fairfield Central High School makes open community use of its outdoor facilities work.
- FAQ's About Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Programs Linda Watson | 07/23/2018 Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs allow you to support a local community farm. In return, you receive fresh food d...
- Fast Food Survival Guide 08/21/2018 Eat smart on the run with these seven tips.
- Find Your Pasture-Raised Thanksgiving Turkey from a Local Farm Carolina Farm Stewardship Association | 11/08/2019 Support local farmers on Thanksgiving by buying a locally-sourced turkey.
- Food as Fuel - Before, During and After Workouts 03/23/2016 Your body is your vehicle, so you have to keep your engine — your heart — running when you work out. That means fu...
Foods that Lower Blood Pressure: Healthy Alternatives This Holiday Season
Unhealthy food choices, especially during the holidays, can wreck any diet and play havoc on your blood pressure.
- Geocaching: Treasure hunting all over South Carolina Dr Greenhouse | 02/19/2016 I am a pediatrician. And I am addicted to geocaching. There, I’ve said it. So what is geocaching? Geocaching is treasure...
- Getting Ready for the Farmers' Market: Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food Ciranna Bird | 07/07/2016 It's time to hit the farmers' market- let's come prepared!
- Go Outside and Take Your Medicine 09/28/2015 By Ned Barrett, Trails Coordinator for Partners for Active Living I had the great fortune of getting to spend three weeks ba...
- Going for a Walk? Don't Forget your Fitness Tracker! Meg Stanley | 05/10/2018 If you feel like you’re lacking motivation, a fitness tracker may be just what you need to get you back on track!
- Great Exercises That Require No Equipment 11/19/2019 Sometimes making a trip to the gym just isn't possible. Fortunately, there are exercises that you can do at home or on-the-go t...
- Hikers, It's Time to Challenge Yourself! Deanna Anderson | 11/03/2016 It's time to get moving with a new outdoor challenge- hiking!
- Home-canning Heirloom Tomatoes Ciranna Bird | 07/19/2016 Make the most of summer's tomato by preserving them for later use.
- How do you get your heart rate on target? 01/26/2016 When you work out, are you doing too much or not enough? There’s a simple way to know: Your target heart rate helps you h...
- How to choose the best running shoes 05/04/2016 A pair of running shoes can make or break a run. It’s truly the most essential piece of gear for any runner. A good pair ...
- How to Eat Healthy at Restaurants 09/10/2018 Plenty of healthy options are available when eating out at restaurants. Find out how with this plant based guide for dining out.
- How to Make Your Tailgate Healthy Lauren Wright | 09/27/2016 When you plan your football spread this year, try some of these healthier tailgate recipes.
- How to Stick to Your Workout During the Holidays 12/11/2018 You don't have to sacrifice your fitness during the holidays.
- How to Tell When Produce is Ripe Ken Immer | 11/18/2016 We can save money and time by using ripeness as a purchasing strategy.
- How to Turn your Child into a Healthy Eater Brie Holmes | 12/08/2015 With a little work, it's possible to get even the pickiest eaters to enjoy their fruits and vegetables.
- It Pays to Meet Healthy at Work! Hannah Walters | 06/23/2016 Adopting a healthy meeting and events policy supports good employee health!
- Johnsonville High School: A Community Place Angela Rogers | 05/09/2016 New upgrades to Johnsonville High make it a center for wellness.
Juice Up Your Water!
Deanna Anderson | 03/22/2016
A few simple tricks can turn a plain glass of water into a tasty, refreshing beverage.
- Just Move! One Step at a Time. Mike Campbell | 05/29/2018 The furthest thing from TheFatGuy's mind was establishing a exercise program, riding a bike, going to the gym, anything that in...
- Keen-what? 05/09/2016 Quinoa is a popular new grain, and it's healthy! We put quinoa to the taste test!
- Kick Off Your First Day with a Hike Deanna Anderson | 12/29/2015 There is a belief that how you spend the first twelve days of the year predicts how you'll spend the next twelve months, so let...
- Making Moves — 5 Easy Ways to Add Exercise to Your Routine Dr. Imtiaz Khan | 01/27/2020 Starting and keeping up with a fitness routine can seem like a lot, but try and take it one step at a time.
- Making nutritious choices Dr. Imtiaz Khan | 04/30/2019 Did you know that fruit juice isn't the healthiest choice? Learn how to make healthier food and beverage choices that help you ...
- Managing the Uncertainty of the COVID-19 Outbreak through Walking America Walks | 03/26/2020 If maintaining good health during this time of social distancing and digital connection is the goal, then walking and moving ou...
- McCracken Middle School: Safe Access for the Community Sandra Sessions | 05/25/2016 McCracken Middle School is a school that believes in community involvement and opportunities for every child.
- Morning Walks at Cottonwood Trail Ned Barrett | 08/15/2018 I started going to Cottonwood Trail in Spartanburg for its flatness and of course for its beauty. But now that I’ve started run...
- Must-See Passages of the Palmetto Trail Deanna Anderson | 04/18/2017 South Carolina is lucky to have the Palmetto Trail, a cross-state trail extending roughly 350 miles from Oconee County to Charl...
- My Three Favorite Hikes in Spartanburg at Croft State Park Ned Barrett | 08/15/2018 If you’re looking for a nice place to hike in the Upstate, these three trails at Croft State Park in Spartanburg, SC will give ...
- Old Man Winter Can't Keep Us from Being Active Rebecca Parrish | 01/07/2016 As winter approaches and the weather grows colder (and holiday meals and sweets become more prevalent), I fall back on an insid...
- Opening School Grounds for Community Use 04/11/2016 There are many reasons to be physically active. We may engage in physical activity to improve our health, to connect with frien...
- Packed Lunch Ideas for Your Healthy Learner Lauren Wright | 08/18/2016 Try these easy and healthy lunch recipes that your child won't want to trade.
- Part 1: The Importance of Walkable Communities Jean Crowther | 04/26/2016 What is walkability? The most basic definition is simply, “the ability to walk.” However, true walkability is so mu...
- Part 2: Becoming a Walkable Community Jean Crowther | 05/04/2016 Part 1 of this topic discussed the meaning of walkability and why it matters. However, even for communities where citizens and ...
- Pre & Probiotics- Promoting Gut Health Lauren Wright | 08/08/2016 Ever heard about the gut microbiome wondered why you should care about bacteria?
- School and Community: A Reflection of Each Other Corina Vidaurri | 05/23/2016 Calhoun County High School is located in St Matthews, SC and is at the center of the community.
- Six Tips for a Healthier Halloween Hannah Walters | 10/29/2015 Though fun, Halloween is a notoriously sugary holiday. Here are 6 tips to keep you and yours healthy this fall! Focu...
- Sport Drinks: An Unhealthy Choice Lauren Wright | 01/26/2018 Many people think sports drink are a healthy replacement for water. Are they right or wrong?
- Staying Active in Warm Weather 07/08/2016 Ample sunshine, longer days and warmer temperatures provide more opportunities for the whole family to get outside and get active!
- Stretch Your Way to Better Sleep 03/13/2019 Stretching before you go to bed will loosen muscle tightness and help you relax so that you feel comfortable and are ready for ...
- Sugar: The Good, Bad and the Ugly Charlton Goodwin | 05/15/2018 Here are four things to know that can help you enjoy sugar moderately at a healthy level.
- Super-powered Blueberries Lauren Wright | 08/01/2016 Blueberries are one of summer's super foods! Time to fill up while they're in season!
- The Best Yogurts For Your Health: Greek or Regular? Jayne Hurley | 02/12/2016 With so many options, how can you know which yogurts are the best yogurts?
- The Big A: Antioxidants Charlton Goodwin | 07/06/2016 You've probably heard of antioxidants and wondered what they do. Read on!
- The Fellowship of Sweat in a Spartanburg Running Club Ned Barrett | 08/27/2018 If you look around Spartanburg, you’ll notice more of these kinds of groups—social events where people exercise.
- The Importance of Eating Smart 02/13/2018 Use our Eat Smart blog to stay updated on healthy eating tips and trends.
- The Importance of Moving More 02/13/2018 Use our Move More blog to stay updated on physical activity tips and trends. You'll find helpful information that you can use t...
- The Picky Eater's Healthy Grocery List Anjali Shah | 05/05/2016 One of the most common questions I get asked is what to buy at the grocery store. I’ve found that having a list is SUPE...
- The Weirdest Workouts Across South Carolina Heather Cooper Curtis | 05/29/2018 We're all a little weird, and so are these workouts. You won’t regret giving one of these offbeat sweat sessions in South Carol...
- Tips for Eating Organic Affordably Laura Pyatt | 06/30/2016 Eating organic doesn't have to break the bank with these easy tips!
- Trail Review: Harbison State Forest 02/10/2016 Harbison State Forest Trail: Firebreak Trail Length: 4.3 miles Level: Easy – Moderate Harbison State Forest is loca...
- Turn Your Kids into Cooks for a Healthier Adulthood 03/13/2019 Getting your kids interested in cooking can turn them into healthy adults.
- Vegetarian, Vegan and Meals Without Meat 06/19/2018 Eating vegetarian or vegan meals every now and then can help you lower your cholesterol and improve your heart health.
- VIDEO: 17 Miles of Biking and Hiking at Croft State Park 12/09/2015 Croft State Park overview from MoreView Media on Vimeo. Croft State Park is a big park with lots to do. A green retreat in t...
- Walking: The Most Popular Form of Exercise 07/03/2018 Follow these tips getting started and learn more about fitness walking
- Watermelon 101 06/08/2016 Nothing says summer like vibrant, refreshing watermelon.
- Wearable Tech Named Top Fitness Trend for 2020 American College of Sports Medicine | 11/07/2019 Do you use your smartwatch or fitness tracker to track your exercise, heart rate, calorie consumption or sleep quality? If you ...
- What is it about tomatoes, anyway? Craig LeHoullier | 07/12/2016 Summer's here, and so are tomatoes! Get 'em while they're fresh!
- What is Moderate and Vigorous Activity? 02/15/2016 American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week &nd...
- What's in Season in SC This Summer Lauren Wright | 06/20/2016 Summer officially arrives on June 20, and with it comes bountiful summer produce!
- What's in Season? 09/22/2015 Navigating your local grocery store or farmers market is easy when you know what's in season.
- When is the best time of day to work out? 08/02/2016 Morning, midday or midnight --- when's the best time to work out?
- Why consistent workouts are essential for new moms Albert Krav | 08/08/2016 Sticking to your workouts will elevate your mood, re-energize your body, and ensure you get back in shape faster.
- Why Have Broccoli When You Can Have Fries? Jasmine Guest | 05/22/2018 The introduction of good or bad food choices in a child's life has lasting effects on their physical and mental health.
- Why You Should Add Walking to Your Workout 05/05/2016 All of us take the act of walking for granted. Why? Because we don’t realize the amazing benefits of it and because we do...
- Wildly Good CSAs Linda Watson | 05/06/2016 Community Supported Agriculture is a great way to support local farmers.