The Importance of Moving More
We know that an active lifestyle makes us feel better and sleep better, and it’s a great opportunity to spend time with family and friends. Plus, being outside and getting our Vitamin D, just feels good!
Physical activity is important for everyone – regardless of age, race, income, and culture. Experts recommend 150 minutes of physical activity a week for adults and 60 minutes a day for youth.
Regular physical activity can:
- Prevent chronic diseases (heart disease, cancer, and stroke)
- Control weight
- Build strong muscles
- Reduce fat
- Promote strong bone and joint development
- Improve conditions of heart and lungs
- Build overall strength and endurance
- Improve sleep
- Decrease potential of becoming depressed
- Increase your energy and self-esteem
- Relieve stress
- Increase chances of living longer
Although it may, at times, seem difficult to find ways to be active, there are many safe and affordable options available to us in our own communities. You can find state parks that have trails for hiking, and places to fish and kayak; community trails for biking and walking; and community parks and playgrounds. Some schools open their outdoor facilities in the afternoon and on weekends for individuals and families.
Use our Move More blog to stay updated on physical activity tips and trends. You'll find helpful information that you can use to make simple changes to your daily routine.